The Torrey family has been farming in this country for over 300 years. The Torrey family left England in 1626 because of disagreements with the church. They first settled in Lebanon, Connecticut and slowly moved west looking for better soil. In 1803, John Torrey arrived in Bethany, Genesee County, New York.
In the year 1948, Elbert Torrey purchased the Higley Farm on Edgerton Road in Elba. In 1954, Charles Torrey, Elbert's oldest son, moved from Bethany to Elba to farm. In the mid 1970's, his two sons, John and Mark, joined him in farming and purchased a packing shed and 146 acres of land and began operating on Maltby Road in Elba. In the fall of 1978, their sister Maureen came back to work between jobs and ended up staying with the family business.
Charles Torrey had excellent farming skills, a strong work ethic, and was a visionary. Each of his children (Maureen, John & Mark) have different talents that compliment each other. Torrey Farms Inc. was off and running.